DISCLAIMER: The information found on this blog is merely a suggestion for a healthy diet and healthier way of living. It is by no means a replacement for physician's recommendations and/or specific instructions provided to you by your physician. The authors of this blog will not be held accountable for your choices.

Sunday, May 10, 2009

Walk It Off!


As we all know, walking is a great way to relieve some tension, AND to lose weight. :)

I know, it's not the most exciting way sometimes, but it's exercise, and that is what is important! But when you've decided to go for that walk, have you prepared yourself? Have you motivated yourself? Are you totally geared up for it? Here are some ways to help you out with preparing yourself for that walk.

1. Know How Far You Are Walking ~

You make a couple of trips around your housing or apartment complex, but do you know how far you are walking? If you don't, how do you know how many calories you are burning? When I was a teenager and got my first job, I had to start buying the things that I wanted. My mother had taught me to look at the things that I wanted in terms of how long I would have to "work" to get it. So if I made $10 an hour, and whatever I wanted was $40, I had to work 4 hours just to earn that one thing. Was it worth 4 hours of my time? Did I want it that badly?

Diet and exercise works the same way. It's fine if you want to indulge one day a week in a small 500 calorie piece of double chocolate cake and some ice cream on the side. But make sure that you burn off 500 calories so that it doesn't effect The Plan. How much walking would it take to burn 500 calories? Well, if you walk a mile in 20 minutes and you weigh 200lbs, then you will burn 105 calories in that walk. So you would have to walk 5 miles, or 1 hour and 40 minutes, just to burn off that piece of cake and ice cream. And that's on top of any exercise that you are already doing. Is that cake worth it? 

You might be surprised to find that one trip around your complex is a 1/2 mile. That's what I found when I jumped in my car and drove my walking path around my condo complex. So two trips around my complex, which is what I regularly walk, is a mile! How amazing is that?! So it's worth it to track your exercise.

2. Stretch, Stretch, Stretch!

It is very important to keep yourself in prime exercise condition. This is not as heavy as it sounds. It just means to keep yourself well stretched before you exercise. Allow yourself a 10 minute stretch to slowly stretch every part of your body before you do your exercise. Allow for about 2-3 minutes worth of a slower walk to warm you up before you hit the pavement hard and start that brisk walk.

In the same respect, allow yourself a 2-3 minute cool down walk before just stopping. It will allow your heart to slow down at a calmer pace, rather than just stopping the exercise. Then, after your cool down, stretch yourself again to keep the muscles from just tightening up. Diet and exercise is not the only way to take care of your body. Protect your muscles by properly stretching before you exercise.

3. Turn It Up!

Do you have an iPod? A walkman? Don't underestimate the power of music! Download some really motivating music to keep you pumped as you're walking. Music that motivates might get you walking a little faster, too, so that's an added benefit. What kind of music moves you? Maybe it's country, maybe it's rock, maybe it's heavy metal. Whatever it is, download it and download it alot! Make a workout track with the music that keeps you pumping. It will help you more than you know. :)

Take these tips and incorporate them into your exercise, regardless of whether it is walking, going to the gym, even swimming (but don't wear an iPod or walkman! DUH!). Taking care of your body is important. We're here to help. :)

Now go take a walk! GOOD LUCK!

No comments:

Post a Comment